Thursday, February 1, 2018

Radeon RX Vega GPUs are next to impossible to buy: Is AMD hitting pause or simply prioritizing Frontier Edition?

I have been a big fan of AMD products for years. This looks to be a state of the art graphics card at a reasonable price. Find more computer hardware advice and computer tips cleburnepcrepair.com.

We recently noticed some information regarding the poor availability of AMD’s Radeon RX Vega GPUs that we’d like share with you by way of conjecture. Before we get going, as a reminder, AMD released the Vega 56 and Vega 64 graphics cards back in August, some five months ago. At the time they sold out in seconds and since then supply has been unable to meet demand with miners being mostly to blame for this. Despite the poor availability, a good many of you have been asking us to review custom RX Vega graphics cards from one of AMD’s partners. This request likely comes at least in part due to my comments openly bashing AMD’s reference design, claiming that it’s hot, loud and that you simply shouldn’t buy it. Many custom models have been announced, but getting your hands on any one of them is next to impossible — I can’t even get one, despite AMD saying that it’s willing to support me directly. I’ve heard for months that the cards are coming, until last week when two of AMD’s board partners told me that they wouldn’t be coming after all. This had me confused and after making a few more inquiries it was confirmed by one exclusive partner and one massive partner that the custom cards have been effectively canceled as the companies are no longer receiving Vega 56 and 64 GPUs from AMD, and its reference models weren’t being supplied either. No Vega graphics cards were being sold by these partners. That didn’t seem right to me, so I dug a little more. First I went to check Newegg to see who has RX Vega cards in stock and specifically what models/brands, but I found nothing! Newegg did list some custom Gigabyte models at insane prices with no stock along with a single PowerColor model, also out of stock, as well as a reference model sold by XFX which was likewise unavailable. What was in stock was the ‘ Vega Frontier Edition ‘ and I’ll come back to that shortly. Every other US retailer I checked also showed zero stock for the Vega 56 and Vega 64. It’s the same story for Australian retailers. In fact, PC Case Gear now list just a single Vega 56 model, which is of course out of stock. I also tried the AMD shop on their official website and checked all the links they provide to various retailers — none of them had stock for either model. I also decided to have a look at pre-built systems, though there are almost none that feature RX Vega graphics cards. That said I do know of one, a CybertronPC packing an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X with a reference RX Vega 64 graphics card at Best Buy, who has more than two dozen system to choose from yet only with an RX Vega card inside. And guess what? It’s the only PC out of stock. There’s one exception to the Vega’s availability and that’s Apple. AMD obviously wouldn’t want to upset the apple cart, so you can still buy a horrendously overpriced iMac Pro to get a Vega 56 or Vega 64 graphics card. It’s only $8,260 for the Vega 64 version with an eight-core Xeon CPU, 32GB of memory and a 1TB SSD. At this point, I realized two things: there didn’t appear to be a single Vega 56 or 64 card in stock anywhere in the US or Australia. That’s not completely unusual for Vega, but I was intrigued by that detail knowing that AMD’s partners told me the company isn’t currently […]

The post Radeon RX Vega GPUs are next to impossible to buy: Is AMD hitting pause or simply prioritizing Frontier Edition? appeared first on Cleburne PC Repair.

No comments:

Post a Comment